Blake Real Estate, a Community Member
For more than a half-century, Blake Real Estate has been an integral and active member of the Washington, DC metropolitan region community. We encourage a culture where our team members give back to the community in any way they can. And, over the years we have modeled that corporately by participating in and supporting a wide range of groups and efforts, including:
- The James E. Duckworth Regional School Special Olympics Challenge Day
- Children’s Hospital donations from our annual Company Event
- American Heart Association’s Heart Walk Fundraiser (in 2013, 2014, and 2015 Blake has raised $100,000)
- American Heart Association’s Wear Red Day
- Blood drives, Toys for Tots, Winter Coat Drives (in partnership with Pathways to Housing DC), and Capital Food Bank drives in the buildings
- Blue Jeans Day for Children’s Hospital
- Girl Scouts (we typically purchase 5,000 boxes each year to distribute in our buildings as both a customer service tool and a means of supporting an organization dedicated to developing girls of courage, confidence, and character)
- Supporting KaBoom! in the building of a playground at the KIPP DC Douglass Campus
Blake is proud to have partnered with Casey Trees* and dc greenworks** in creating Washington’s first high-elevation green roof on a commercial building at 1425 K Street, NW. Labor to install the 3,500-square-foot roof garden was provided by a group of “at-risk” kids through Covenant House, working side-by-side with team members from Blake, Casey and dc greenworks.
The project won the Washington Business Journal’s “Best Real Estate Deals of 2004” award for Sustainable Growth & Environmental Impact.
* Established in 2002, Casey Trees is a Washington, DC nonprofit committed to restoring, enhancing and protecting the tree canopy of the nation’s capital. Casey works with government, designers, businesses and community groups to protect existing trees and forests while creating spaces to sustain new, healthy growth.
** dc greenworks is a 501(c)(3) social enterprise serving Washington through training, tools and technologies that utilize, advance and protect the environment. The organization is a resource for Low Impact Development (LID) consultation, design and installation.