Development and Construction
Blake Real Estate is distinct from other area companies in our field. Our blend of construction and real estate industry experience gives us a unique ability to understand what works in completed facilities. We are composed of an experienced team of highly-educated and accredited professionals who are personally committed to every project. We believe that unmitigated success is the only option, so we take the lead on every project and stay with it until its successful completion. We listen to our clients and apply their input to tailor our process to meet their individual needs. In the end, our honesty, flexibility, creativity, and hard work allow us to deliver superior results for a wide range of commercial and institutional clients. Our work makes buildings better.
Blake’s approach to development and construction management is founded on the following four principles:
- Collaboration: The entire project team creates a network of relationships, leveraging a diversity of knowledge and skills. This builds communication and understanding to ensure the success of each project so that each client achieves their desired results.
- Creativity: At Blake, we think outside of the box, producing new ideas, approaches and actions to achieve the goals of each client.
- Service: This is our first priority to each and every client. Service is more than doing our job; service stems from a core set of values that reflect our desire to deliver the best results to each client.
- Integrity: Our integrity is not conditional. It comes from a pursuit of honesty and accountability, not the relentless quest for profits. It shows through the consistency of our actions and the results of our projects.
Blake Real Estate is licensed as a Class A (unlimited project size) General Contractor in the District of Columbia. It is a privately owned company with roots in the Metropolitan Washington, DC area. With over 20 years of experience in the construction industry, we offer a long, stable track record of successful construction projects. Blake’s corporate headquarters is located in downtown Washington and virtually all our business is conducted within the local metropolitan area. Blake Real Estate is a multi-disciplined service company providing construction services, commercial cleaning, and HVAC systems service and maintenance.
The diversity of Blake Real Estate, Inc.’s own portfolio and our client’s holdings demonstrates our ability to complete projects for our clients ranging from Class A office buildings and charter schools to complex DOD contracts or historic restoration/renovations. Whatever your project needs, Blake Real Estate, Inc. can manage it for you.
We recognize our clients’ commitment to meeting their sustainability goals. For that reason, we have members of our management team that are LEED accredited professionals. This allows Blake to facilitate the LEED process from the planning stage in order to incorporate LEED requirements into the building process. We are committed to sustainable building practices and incorporate recycling and reuse of materials whenever possible.
The Blake Real Estate project team uses a hands-on, results oriented approach to problem solving and achieves project goals through a blend of in-depth construction experience, practical business sense, and proactive management style.
We treat each project as if it were for our own account by assigning a corporate officer as the hands-on Project Leader and primary contact person. The Blake team has written and negotiated millions of square feet of design contracts and hundreds of millions of dollars in construction contracts. We do not bring in senior management just to win the project and then assign the work to junior staff. Our key personnel are the ones on the front line with each client, all the way to the project’s successful completion.
Senior team members are graduate architects and engineers with the experience to overcome project time and resource constraints. Virtually all of our projects have fast-track schedules, so we excel in leading project teams to produce cost effective solutions and meeting deadlines. Blake utilizes the latest in project management and scheduling software to keep the project team on track and up-to-date with current information. Project goals are met through a combination of daily tracking, frequent meetings, and site visits which includes:
- Regular field coordination meetings
- Weekly progress meetings with the Design team and Owner to review project status
- 24/7 availability to respond to clients and any needs that may arise
Blake Real Estate understands the organizational challenges associated with fast-track interior alterations projects.
- Accountability – Every project is led by an executive of the firm
- Client-Focused Approach – Thinking beyond our own interests
- This is Our Specialty – The majority of our work is renovating existing buildings in DC
- Credentials – High percentage of staff with advanced degrees
- Easy to Work With – We enjoy what we do!
Project Controls Process
- Preconstruction Surveys
- Building Systems Check
- Comprehensive Drawing Review
- Careful Submittal Reviews
- Subcontractor Coordination
- Project Master Scheduling
- “Look-Ahead” Schedules
- Superintendent Scheduling Confirmations
- “Dry Run” Meetings
- “Tool Box” Talks
- Daily Reporting
- Meeting Minutes
- RFI & Submittal Tracking Logs
- Quality control inspections and reports
- Checklists for wall/ceiling concealment, start up, commissioning, etc.
- Pre-punch inspections
- Jobsite Safety Audits
- Demobilization inspection and checklist